Saturday, July 05, 2008

Arboretum - Oil on Board - 10" x 12"

This painting was done yesterday at the Arboretum at Balboa Park in San Diego.  It was a pretty hot day by San Diego standards and for the most part, I was in the shade.  When I got there I discovered that I didn't have white paint or paper towels.  My husband found some paper napkins and I had unbleached titanium which is sort of a puddy color tending toward cool.  To counter act that, I used Cadmium red.  I used a lot of washes at first so I could make value changes and finally came up with this.  It was a challenge but I think it came out OK.  The Arboretum was closed for the holiday but there were lots of people in the park.  In the evening we met friends and went downtown to view the fireworks over the ocean.  They were great.  Today, it is off to Dick Blick to get some white!  Maybe I will paint the alley behind the condo.

No comments: